Meeting January - 2019

From Area515
Jump to: navigation, search

1/2/2018 - Area 515 Board Meeting

Attending:

President: Dave
Vice President: Ray
Secretary: Brad
Director of Education: Bailey
Director: Jason
Director: Tom

Absent:

Treasurer: Meg

Also present:

Member: Chris J

Financials

  • Several people need to be reimbursed for expenses (at least: Bailey, Chris, Shelly, Nate). Since Treasurer is absent today, all receipts should be emailed to the board and the Treasurer will reimburse.
  • We received more money from sales of Stratysis parts.

DIY or Don't

   Vote to have the space pay for a booth out of group funds, then ask some reimbursement from members who sell things
   In Favor: 6
   Abstained: 0
   Opposed: 0
   Result: PASSED - The space pay for a booth out of group funds, then ask some reimbursement from members who sell things
  • Will ask $25 from anyone who sells something there.

Door Discussions

Exterior Door with Window

  • Two possible reasons to get one were discussed:
    • 1. To make the building look more inviting from the outside. (The imposing look of the building was one of the reasons the 3D printing group is now meeting elsewhere)
    • 2. To allow people inside to see who is outside if they knock
  • In response to reason one, a cheaper alternative would be to tie 3d printer room lights to the classroom lights and keep the window drapes open.
  • In response to reason two, a cheaper alternative would be an external video feed.

Door Between Laser Room and Wood Shop

  • This was decided against because...
    • We don't want sawdust entering the laser room
    • We would have to put PPE by the door if we installed it. (PPE is required at all entrances to Wood Shop per regulations)
    • Wood Stewards want to store wood where the door is.
  • Instead it was decided that we should get duplicate tools of anything in the wood shop that frequently needs to be accessed from the laser or class rooms.

Tech Updates

  • At present we use Google (spread)Sheets to keep track of almost everything. We would like to upgrade to something better. Salesforce software seems to have a free version for non-profits. The downside of Salesforce is that using it requires a lot of specific knowledge and is said to have a steep learning curve. We think it will be able to fulfill all of our needs and more, but getting started will take a lot of work.
   Vote to have Ray lead a committee to investigate using Salesforce. He will set up an account for us, set up some basic requirements, and report back what he thinks about it.
   In Favor: 6
   Abstained: 0
   Opposed: 0
   Result: PASSED - Ray will lead a committee to investigate using Salesforce. He will set up an account for us, set up some basic requirements, and report back what he thinks about it.
  • DSM Hack is also coming up, Bailey will look at what the deadline is for that.

Social Media & Marketing Help

  • Bailey wishes to bequeath the management of social media to somebody else. Nobody else in the room wanted the job either, so Bailey will ask our members if one of them would do it.
  • We have accounts with:
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    • Facebook
    • LinkedIn
    • Instructables
    • Meetup
    • Eventbrite
    • Our "blog"
  • The new social media person should also be the one to accept applications for the intern position.

Upcoming Classes

  • Feb - Wearable Tech
  • March - soldering
  • April - leather (& sewing?)
  • May - painting

Intern

  • Board decided not to renew our current Intern. Bailey will accept new applications after someone takes over the social media stuff.

Safety Grants

  • They can grant if they want to. They can leave their friends behind.
  • Cause their friends don't grant, and if they don't grant, then they're no friends of mine.
  • We will ask John Deere for some safety items like more earplugs, safety glasses and maybe gloves
  • Brad will look into Iowa Clinic grants.
  • We want grants for eye wash stations, fire blankets, CPR training, etc.

Space Updates

Metal Shop

  • Ray's large battery discharger needs to go somewhere. Either put wheels on it, or store it on shelves.
  • Jerry has a mill with a broken Z axis, if we can fix that he might let us use it.
  • Plans for storage are happening.
  • 220 Volt wiring needs to be installed for the Welder, Kiln and Air Compressor. Jason estimates we'll need 3 different rolls of 100' 8 gauge wire, costing about $42 a roll. We'll also need at least 3 outlets at ~$20 a piece. Jason will call the union asking for volunteers to install the wiring.

Wood Shop

  • Dust Collection tubing has been purchased. Stewards will schedule a work day to install everything quickly. Will probably need at least 4 people.

Big CNC

  • Ray will put Brad in contact with Reg to communicate about if we can use his big CNC. Some issues that will need to be ironed out:
    • how to get it inside
    • who is he comfortable having as tool steward
    • power requirements
    • space requirements
    • People want to know how it's insured.
  • Dave will also put Brad in contact with a person at Pumping Station 1. They have an industrial CNC machine and Brad can ask them how it is managed.

Corel Draw

  • Bailey will get it

January Member Meeting

  • Scheduled for Sunday, Jan 27, 1:00pm based on responses to the poll Dave sent out.

Miscallenous

  • I don't know how to spell that word.
  • We now have 4 security cameras working and recording.
  • We should make more parking tickets so people can label their stuff better.

End of Meeting

  • This was not given:

FlyingSchitt.jpg