Meeting July - 2020

From Area515
Jump to: navigation, search

7/1/2020 - Area 515 Board Meeting

Attending:

President: Dave
Vice President: Jake
Treasurer: Meg
Secretary: Brad
Director: Jason
Director of Education: Bailey
Director: Tom

Absent:

Also present:

Ward

Secretary's Note: Some members were present via Google Hangout.

Approval of Minutes from Previous Meeting

  • It was decided that from now on, minutes from the previous meeting will not be read aloud at the next meeting. Instead, the minutes will be circulated to board members via email, so members can suggest edits. Then the minutes will be approved by a vote at the start of the next meeting.
  • Anything of relevance from a meeting will be put in an agenda item called "Old Business" for the next meeting.
   Vote to approve minutes from previous meeting.
   In Favor: 7
   Opposed: 0
   Result: PASSED.

Financials

  • Meg will update web domain payment.
  • We will need to do some paperwork for the Facebook donation. Jake registered Area 515 with the Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines, and is listed as our organization's contact with them.
  • Brad will turn off auto-renew on our Meetup.com account. Our membership will terminate on December 25, 2020.

Membership Update: 63

  • There's been a lot of Wood Shop training requests. (See also Additional Tool Steward discussion below.)
  • Wood Shop dust collector and bag were filled in 1 week. Creating an automatic notification system to know when the collector is full was discussed.
  • A new member, Carlin, brought in a work bench with a buffer on it for the Metal Shop.

Face Shield Donations

  • There was only 1 person to reimburse for materials.
  • Brad will look at options for where to donate the rest of the money.

Large Tool Buy

   Vote to re-engage large tool buy.
   In Favor: 7
   Opposed: 0
   Result: PASSED.
  • Money for the Large Tool Buy will come from our savings. We're planning to spend about as much as is in our CD fund. Plus leftover money from the sale of Bailey's Dad's car. Plus any money we receive from Facebook.
  • Discussion ensued on possible ways to spend money in a large tool buy.
    • Ryan and Jake worked on a wish list for the Metal Shop. High on that list is a Metal Shop ventilation fan.
    • Other possible purchases that were discussed:
      • Create more member storage cubes
      • Purchase good quality chairs for classroom. Jason got pricing from an office supply company:
        • $145 for wheeled & stackable chairs that hold 250-300 lbs
        • $155 for heavy duty, NOT stackable chairs that hold up to 500 lbs.
  • Ultimately it was agreed that another Tool Steward meeting is needed to decide what to purchase.

BOFH Discussion

  • Secretary's Note: BOFH is the group email of space members involved in managing computers at the space.
  • Setting up a new security camera system is the top priority.
    • 1st - need to set a date for a planning meeting to pick camera locations
    • 2nd - need to set a date to physically install the cameras, at least 3 people needed to do this. We will run cat6 cable to a biscuit to connect to the cameras.
  • The only members on the list are: Dave C, Don , Jeffrey Ollie, and Tim S.
  • Dave volunteered to be primary contact when dealing with issues on space computers.
  • Dave and Don are discussing making a standard Administrator account across all space computers.

Member Meeting Agenda

  • Discussion of what to include ensued, Dude.

Space Updates

  • There was discussion about enforcing time limits on leaving personal stuff outside of designated storage areas, particularly in the Wood Shop.
  • New member Carlin is looking to do small group classes on knife making. Classes would typically last from 8am - 6pm, but can't happen until we have a way to heat treat metal. Bailey will provide him a copy of our classroom policies.
  • Tom will work on getting our safety waiver reviewed by a lawyer.
  • Our landlord has approved the creation of a small concrete pad in the courtyard, just south of the garage ramp, for the site of a portable forge/foundry.
  • Dave will talk with our landlord again about the possibility of renting more space. He will try to get some numbers for upcoming member meeting.
  • Need to a cut a 3rd hole in laser room for venting all 3 lasers. Sharktooth also still needs fixing.

Additional Tool Steward Discussion

  • Wood Shop training takes typically 2-3 hours. The majority of the training is done by Jason. Talk of adding more trainers ensued.
   Vote to make Brad a Tool Steward on the Vinyl Cutter.
   In Favor: 7
   Opposed: 0
   Result: PASSED.
  • A lack of 3D Printing trainers was discussed. Dave said he will email members to ask for help.
   Vote to make Brad a Trainer on Laser Cutters.
   In Favor: 7
   Opposed: 0
   Result: PASSED.

Classes & Events

  • Robot night may move to the Twisted Vine
  • No classes scheduled.

End of Meeting

  • Quote of the Meeting, said in regard to reminding members to clean up their stuff: "Jake will take your stuff in a wheel barrow over the hill and give it to whoever walks by."
  • Quote of the Meeting Runner-Up: "You mean my saw blade nun-chucks aren't allowed? I'm gonna' have to reorganize my whole week!"