Meeting March - 2020

From Area515
Jump to: navigation, search

3/9/2020 - Area 515 Board Meeting

Attending:

President: Dave
Vice President: Jake
Treasurer: Meg
Secretary: Brad
Director: Tom
Director: Jason
Director of Education: Bailey

Absent:


Also present:

  • Rocky (dog)

Review of Previous Minutes Review

  • Tool chests have been reallocated
  • Tool sets in the 3D printing room, classroom, and laser room have been color coded with tape.
  • Frank submitted a proposal to add hot water to the sink outside the bathrooms. Price came to $104.83
   Vote to spend around $100 to add how water to sink outside bathrooms.
   In Favor: 7
   Opposed: 0
   Result: PASSED.
  • Dave will still get the die grinder
  • Simpson college tour went well, there may be a chance to do something with them in the future.
  • 3D Printing Meetup at the space went well, but seating was a little tight in the classroom.
    • The board decided to get rid of the white couch currently sitting in the classroom.
    • Putting the display cubes up on the walls using french cleats was mentioned.
    • At some point, the clasroom lights should be put on different circuits so it's easier to see the projector.
    • Jason will call Storey-Kenworthy and ask if they have reclaimed furniture the space could get for free or reduced price.
  • FTC meeting went well too.
  • The board voted to pay an additional $50 to Darron R for delivering his large tool cabinet.
   Vote to amend payment to Darron R to be $550 instead of $500.
   In Favor: 7
   Opposed: 0
   Result: PASSED.

Finance

  • We pulled some cash from the pitcher of the fridge to put in the lockbox.
  • It was mentioned that once we hit $50k in revenue we'll have to fill out a different tax form.

Budget for 2020

  • The Treasurer presented a projected budget for 2020.
    • The budget puts us in the black.
    • Options for how to increase revenue were discussed, things like doing another arduino class and BeagleBone Black class.
    • The presented budget did not include our planned large tool purchase.
      • Jake bought the items he'd asked for in the previous meeting (like the printer enclosure and things for the Piranha upgrade).
   Vote to accept the 2020 budget with an additional $4k tool purchase and minus $550 for the toolchest.
   In Favor: 7
   Opposed: 0
   Result: PASSED.
  • Making a follow-up meeting with Tool Stewards about the large tool buy was discussed.

Grants Update

  • For some grants, we should eventually keep a record of the number of people trained on stuff, and how many volunteer hours people are giving. Right now we'll guesstimate based on our class offerings.
  • Bailey requested help filling out the Iowa Arts Capacity Grant, it's not due for awhile, but it's really long
  • The Meredith grant is mostly done, will be in the mail by Friday.

Current Membership Count

  • 61

SHR Discussion

  • An SHR rate for 2 months for a member was discussed, and voted on.
   Vote to offer SHR to member.
   In Favor: 5
   Abstained: 2
   Opposed: 0
   Result: PASSED.

Facebook Page

  • Right now a person has to be an Admin to post on our Facebook page. Out admins are Jason, Dave, Tom, and Barry.
  • In order for our members to post, we need to create a public group. After some investigation we found an Area 515 Community group.
  • In the end, people on the board didn't feel like the understood Facebook enough to know how to proceed. Some members said they'd keep playing with it.

Misc

  • It was suggested we give Area 515 flyers to local chambers of commerce to put in their new resident welcome packets.

Motion to Change Board Meeting Days

  • It was decided to keep meetings on the first Wednesday of every month.

"In for $10s"

  • Enough money for the vinyl cutter was raised. Bailey will talk with Meg to purchase.
  • $30 have been raised for the Light CNC mill that Ryan donated to the space.

Space Updates

  • After getting the 4H contract reviewed by a lawyer, Tom will send a new draft to Bailey for her to send 4H.
  • Tom plans to finish the design phase by the end of the week.
  • Xenon computer in classroom got upgraded RAM from Jake and a new graphics card.
  • Jake also got two 2K 27" monitors donated for other computers in the classroom.
  • It was noted that when the welder was recently running at full power it tripped the circuit breaker. Jason said he would look at converting it to 220 volt.

Classes & Events

  • Jason's Sharpening Class - He decided to spend up to $75 advertising the class on Instagram, after only $25 were spent he got 10 people signed up. Jason also notified the board that the class will use the belt sander and metal shop.
  • We have about $250 in Facebook advertising money. It was decided we should budget some advertising money for our big classes.
  • Dave said he would put together a Beaglebone Black class
  • There will also be a Build a Batbox class when it gets warmer out
  • We should post about our Open House on Instagram

Instagram Statistics

  • Instagram status last 30 days
  • 7 posts
  • average viewship 207
  • Most popular post: barrel of sawdust 251
  • Least popular: laser cut gingerbreadmen 170
  • 1 promotion running: sharpening class ($25 spent)
  • 8 saves, 4 comments, 30 likes
  • 38 page visits (97% from promotion)
  • 69 profile visits (92% from promotion)
  • 3 get directions from promotion
  • 3,381 people reached (94% weren’t following us)
  • 32 follows
  • Interacting audience 77% men (we need more pictures, videos of women in the makerspace to drive female participation) Especially this month. Age range 25-44 77%
  • Target audience focused on Des Moines 48% women and 55% men.


End of Meeting

  • Paraphrased quote of the meeting: "Lawyers are like nuclear weapons, you need them because the other guy has 'em, but if you actually use them they just $@#% up everything."
  • Said in reference to poor welding skills... "Grinder and paint make the welder I ain't"