Meeting May - 2020
4/1/2020 - Area 515 Board Meeting
- President: Dave
- Vice President: Jake
- Treasurer: Meg
- Secretary: Brad
- Director: Tom
- Director: Jason
- Director of Education: Bailey
Secretary's Note: In light of COVID-19 some members of this meeting were present via Google Hangout.
Review of Previous Minutes Review
- It happened.
- We were $200 in the black for month of April
- We had a lot of donations come in...
- $560 - were labeled for Face Shields in some way
- $315 - were unlabeled
- $975 - total donations
- $247.97 - was already spent in purchases relating to face shields and face masks
- $727 left
- Dave started a spreadsheet to track what members have been spending out of their own pockets on the face shield and mask project. It only has a couple entries. Some members didn't want to share how much they had spent.
- It was decided that the board will spend $700 reimbursing members for purchases. First we will collect reimbursement requests, then determine each person's percentage of the total amount requested, then give that member that percentage of the $700.
- The idea was discussed that anyone who doesn't want reimbursement should consider it a donation to the space.
- Our Meredith grant request was turned down.
- We have not heard back from Prairie Meadows yet.
- 1 week left to fill out state arts grant
Current Member Count: 57
- Have not received any more Starving Hacker Rate requests
- We should send out an email notifying members that SHR is available.
Face Mask and Shield Project Wrap Up
- We're still occasionally getting 3D printed parts, but not enough to worry about.
- We also still have one person's 3D printer. We emailed the owner but haven't heard back.
- A light was put in Metal Shop area near door. It's connected to existing circuit and not an electrical hazard.
- GCFI outlet by the sink isn't grounded
- Jerry paid for adding hot water to the utility sink
- Ryan R squared up the right Full Spectrum laser so now the whole bed is useable.
- Both FS Lasers have experienced a reduction in power, mainly due to use cutting face shields.
- We need a 3rd vent in the laser room for the other FS laser. The possibility of using donations for this was discussed.
- Installing a 3 way light switch for the Metal Shop lights is still on the radar. Jason is working his way through his To Do list.
- There was water dripping by the table saw again. Jerry was notified, and Jason started a youtube video about it!
- There was discussion of redoing member display using french cleats and throwing away the white couch.
- Space work night scheduled for May 21st.
- Jason will start working on his steel CNC machine
- More steel for vacuum former arrived from McMaster-Carr.
"In for $10's"
- Vinyl Cutter just needs to be ordered
- Metal CNC Mill is kind of just waiting for COVID to end
- A donation was received for a Resin Casting Pressure vessel. A solution was donated so the person who made this donation said to put it towards the space.
- Jason donated money to the Metal Shop for the vertical band saw.
Metal Shop Wish List
- Items include:
- Combo break shear
- Bigger welding table
- Way to get more electrical connections to other parts of Metal Shop
- Bridgeport is further down the list
- May do a 'beta' version of their maker camp later in the summer.
- No movement on this. Bailey hasn't gotten the latest version of the 4H contract yet. There probably won't be movement on this for awhile.
Front Sign Update
- Tom's design is made of aluminum and translucent acrylic. Top and sides will be enclosed. 4' square.
- Lights will draw about 2 amps, should cost about $40 per year to have on 24/7
- Will use Raspberry Pi Zero to turn on and off.
- There are outlets above the drop tile in the classroom to hook up.
- Total cost will be about $630
Vote to increase spending limit for sign to about $630. In Favor: 7 Opposed: 0 Result: PASSED.
End of Meeting
- Quote of the Meeting: "So the kids learn to hitchhike. It's a life skill."