Meeting October - 2020
10/7/2020 - Area 515 Board Meeting
- President: Dave
- Vice President: Jake
- Treasurer: Meg
- Secretary: Brad
- Director: Jason
- Director of Education: Bailey
- Director: Tom
Secretary's Note: Some members were present via Google Hangout.
- Waivers haven't been scanned yet. It will happen.
- Front Sign Update - Biggest thing is still getting wires pulled outside. Everything else is ready.
- Gitbook update - Gitbook has been setup and is ready to use. People just need to make accounts and start using it.
- Caroline got sticker labels to make QR codes that can direct users to instructions for machines.
Approval of Minutes from Previous Meeting
- The Secretary done goofed. Minutes from the previous meeting weren't completed in time for this meeting.
- Treasurer updated the accounts for all the Tool areas.
- Checks need to be signed to renew both our insurance and PO Box.
- Plan is afoot to make a list of recurring items to automatically buy from Amazon. Things like paper towels, etc.
Membership Update: 61
- Bailey mentioned a plug in for wordpress called "Woocommerce" that we can use to track payments.
Security Camera System
- "It's -ish" -Don
- At present the system runs for a few days, but then crashes and has to be manually restarted. While it's running it does save the video.
- Will need to purchase 2 to 4 more cameras, and everybody discussed the optimal places to put them. We should have one covering the entrance to Jerry's space. Other priorities included the metal shop and outside.
- The analog cameras only show up when there's activity. The other cameras only record when there's activity.
- It can be logged into from the network in the space. Eventually, the plan it to allow board members to access the cameras from anywhere.
- No money has been spent yet, the Secretary offered to look through previous meeting for funds already allocated.
- Interestingly, the cameras can pick up saw dust in the air in the infrared.
- A new member requested a SHR.
Vote to offer potential member 50% off monthly rate for 6 months. In Favor: 7 Opposed: 0 Result: PASSED.
Upcoming Member Meeting Agenda
- Member Meeting was set for 10/18/2020 1-3pm based on results from doodle poll.
- Tom was nominated by several people and he accepted. Other nominations were put up and accepted on the Google Group already.
- Reminders to clean up your crap and put away tools were put on the agenda.
Large Tool Buy
- Dave still has a spreadsheet for Stewards to record their wish lists on. It will need to be prioritized.
- We received a new Atlas metal lathe. It needs about $200-300 of parts, we'll sell the little Atlas lathe to help pay for it.
- We purchased a large Fire Cabinet
- Our landlord Jerry made us an offer to expand our area. He offered to let us rent a section of space adjacent to - and south of - the automotive shop. We don't have exact dimensions but it's roughly the same size as the current automotive bay. He will charge us an additional $50 per month, and asked that he be made an official member.
Vote to accept Jerry's offer to expand the space. In Favor: 7 Opposed: 0 Result: PASSED.
- We need to make more dry erase signs for the new member storage cubes.
- We should buy tweezers to put in the 1st Aid cabinet.
- Members have started making a concrete pad in the courtyard to use for a forge. The perimeter has been marked, but it needs to be dug deeper and another 3-6" of gravel added in order for the concrete not to crack from ground freezing in the winters.
- The members leading the project have had some disagreements and at present no one is definitely in charge of the project. Ryan R may be asked to lead as he's already helped quite a bit.
Classes & Events
- No classes scheduled.
End of Meeting
- When Dave, the president sent out an email from the "president@area515" email account, it showed up in people's inboxes as being from Tim, the previous president. In response, Tom pointed out, "because it's Google, it might be easier to just change your name to Tim."
- In reference to installing wires above the drop ceiling for the security cameras: "Neither of us fell through the ceiling very much at all."
- At one point during the meeting, Johnny Appleseed came up. While he's well known for planting apple trees all over, he made his fortune making hard apple cider. Upon hearing the Secretary's surprise, Bailey said "You're not gonna' put that in the notes, are you?"