Member meeting October - 2018
10/13/2018 - Area 515 Member Meeting
Total Number of Members Attending: 15
Total Number of Full Members Attending: 13 + 4 by proxy
Quorum was reached (11 Full Members were required)
Board of Directors Attending:
- Sir Makes-A-Lot: Tim (See note below)
- Vice President: Don
- Secretary: Brad
- Director of Education: Bailey
- Director: Chris
- Director: Tom
- Treasurer: Meg
Note: The day before this meeting, the President invoked Bylaws Article 4, Section 12 and officially changed his title to Sir Makes-A-Lot.
State of the Space
- Many things have improved in the past year.
- Our water bill is close to $0 since they charge in 100 cubic foot increments.
- Our Mid-American bill ran about $225 last month. Mid-American provides gas and electric. This expense will change during winter due to increased use of gas for heat.
- The enclosed area of our building is heated by a furnace, while the shop area uses gas heaters.
- Among are monthly expenses are
- fee for Quickbooks
- fee for Meetup.com - Dropping this was briefly proposed but many agreed it was worth having.
- fee for PO Box
- At present we are operating about $245 in the red each month, the equivalent of about 6 or 7 members.
- We finished this past financial year with $5,317.64 net operating revenue.
- We will return any Prairie Meadows money that we don't spend. We gave them an itemized list with justifications for each item and those are the only things we can spend the money on.
- We applied for, but are unlikely to receive, Bravo funding for our Artist in Residency program next year due to changes in Bravo funding.
- Some financial information is not reflected in the above Statement of Activity:
- It doesn't show the net balance in each tool area's account.
- The Stratysis 3D printer was cannibalized for parts and sold, generating some $990 that will go towards the purchase of a new 3D printer.
- We will have John Deere matching funds coming in soon.
- Some unpaid laser expenses are not on the spreadsheet either.
Maker Space Capacity Discussion
- All agreed that we are currently no where near capacity. We don't have enough members right now to even require scheduling for tools.
- Would like to make the auto lift calendar visible on our website. In order to schedule a time you need to email the Auto Shop Tool Steward.
Upgrading Memberships from Supporting to Full
- Jake L requested becoming a full member
Vote to upgrade Jake L's membership from Supporting to Full In Favor: 14 Opposed: 0 Result: PASSED - Jake L became a Full member
Make Magazine Maker Spotlight
- Make Magazine has a Maker Spotlight section on their website that they like to change daily. If any of our members would like to be in it contact Education Director Bailey S. This is a standing offer.
- Art Show, October 18th, 6-9 PM, Decades Event Center
- Volunteers are needed before and after. Please get there around 5:00 or 5:30
- There is also room for members to display art works there. Contact Education Director Bailey S for details
- Free drinks to first 25 people in the door
- Please share the event on Facebook to help generate awareness!
- Snow Day, Dec 15th, 1-5 PM, at the Maker Space
- Classroom will be used for crafty stuff & painting, and people will be called back individually to do stuff at lasers.
- Will need volunteers
- Making Things Fly Camp, Dec 27 & 28, 9 AM - 4 PM, at the Maker Space
- The Space will have kids around those days.
- Next year we would like to do a class every month because they:
- Generate interest & awareness of the Space
- Give people a reason to come if they don't have project ideas already
- Generate some revenue
- Discussion ensued about ideas for possible classes. Suggested ideas included...
- More soldering classes
- Oil changing / brake pad changing classes
- Spot welding art class
- Mechanical clock building class
- Education Director Bailey S decided to continue the discussion online so people can contribute more ideas as they have them.
- It will be moved into the Metal Shop area because of the large amount of heat it generates.
- We will need to run a 220V outlet over to the Metal Shop in order to plug it in.
- Per the Bylaws, Bylaw changes require a 2/3rds vote of all the Full Members present to be approved.
- Under Article 3, Section 2:
- Original text: "A meeting shall be held once a year during the month of September to elect officers, receive reports on the activities..."
- Proposed Change: "A meeting shall be held once a year during the month of October to elect officers, receive reports on the activities..."
Vote to change above section of Bylaw to the proposed change In Favor: 12 Opposed: 0 Abstain: 5 Result: PASSED - The proposed change will be made to the Bylaws.
- Under Article 4, Section 4:
- Original text: "Board meetings shall be closed to the public, but the board has the option to invite participants as needed."
- Proposed Change: "Board meetings shall be open to the public, but the board has the option to close portions of the meetings to discuss sensitive issues."
Vote to change above section of Bylaws to the proposed change In Favor: 17 Opposed: 0 Abstain: 0 Result: PASSED - The proposed change will be made to the Bylaws.
- As worded, the above change gives the board the flexibility to close off meetings to non-members, or to everyone except board members.
2019 Board Elections
- There is only 1 person running for each slot. In light of this, the election was held by a single show of hands.
- President: Dave Champion
- Vice President: Ray Scheufler
- Treasurer: Meg Krajicek
- Secretary: Brad Freese
- Education Director: Bailey Steinfadt
- Director: Tom Pesek
- Director: Jason Bentley
Vote to elect all those running to the respective offices they are running for In Favor: 17 Opposed: 0 Abstain: 0 Result: PASSED - All those running have been elected to their respective offices.
- It was asked if we want to create an email list that includes all members. Normally announcements are made through the google group, but there are at least 6 to 12 members who don't regularly check the group. In the end it was decided not to create the new list. Instead, if anyone has an announcement they want sent to all members, email the announcement to the board of directors and they can send it out to everyone.
- Our new Intern, Danielle B was introduced.
- It was proposed to purchase a gear-creating computer program
- Secretary Brad F is trying to update our list of tools online. Please send him info of the tools in your area.
- Chris J is thinking to ask Kreg tools about coming to the space to demo some of their products. He wanted to know if that would upset anyone. Nobody said that it would.
End of Meeting
- Paraphrased Quote of the Meeting - Jake: "We spent less time electing the new board than we spent talking about drunken hovercraft games!"