Rostock 3D Printers
Please don't touch, use or try to fix a 3D printer unless you have been trained.
Rostock v1 and v2
Installed on AREA515 computers:
- FreeCAD - (Windows, Ubuntu (Linux), MacOS
- Design Spark Mechanical - Windows 32bit and 64bit,
- Blender - Windows, Ubuntu (Linux), MacOS)
- Fusion360 - Windows, MacOS, Linux (browser only)
Other software available:
- Sketchup - (Windows 7 & 8, MacOS)
After design is complete follow these steps:
- Be sure your units of measure are in metric units (millimeters)
- Make sure your model has its scale applied, so that the model fits your units of measure (actual size). Remember, 25.4mm per 1 inch.
- Save your model to a USB Stick as a .stl file
Printer Laptop located by the 3d Printers:
- If not already running start the laptop
- Insert you USB drive into the printer laptop
Run Software on the printer laptop:
Load Model File:
- Open the desired STL and arrange the model on a virtual print plate.
- Is the model too large for the plate or not the size you expected? It will need to be scaled down in this software or go back to the design software and apply the scale so that it is actual size
- Click the "Arrange" button to make sure your model fits on the print plate and starts in the center.
- Printer Profile: Select the printer you are using. Verify the correct material and print settings are selected.
Do you need Supports ?: Supports help hold up the model while printing and can be removed after printing. If your model has a lot of overhangs and/or a complicated designs this may be a good idea.
- Check the "Support" box
- Set filament type *see user notes
- At the bottom of the window you can switch between preview windows. Check that it looks correct.
- Check amount of filament needed: Is there enough filament to print this object on the spool ?
Save Sliced Model:
- In the Slicer save a copy of the models G-Code to your USB stick. Save it with a name that reflects the model of printer
Retrieve SD Card from printer:
- The SD card is located on the left side of the printer display
Save G-Code to SD from printer:
- Also in the Slicer save a copy of the models G-Code to printers SD card. Create a directory on the SD card with first initial, last name (rjohnson) and save the G-Code file with a name that reflects the model of printer: modelname-rostockv2.gcode
Re-Insert SD into printer:
- The SD card is re-inserted with the metal pins facing you
Rostockv2 is ABS filament only !
Rostockv1 is for PLA filament only !
- Home Screen
- Roll to find quick settings
- Find Preheat ABS ( or whatever filament is installed )
- Wait for the print head to get up to temperature
- Roll feed wheel CCW (counter clock wise) and feed out about 6 inches of the old filament (this prevents beads on the tip of tip of the old filament)
- Press red filament lock and retract old filament all the way out
- Remove old filament Spool
- Cut a sharp angle on the tip of the new filament to for easier installation
- Install the new spool
- Feed filament through the top feed hole
- Press the red filament lock lever
- Insert into feeder and feeder tube all the way to the print head
- Release red filament lock
- Roll the feeder wheel CCW (counter clock wise) until traces of the old filament are not visible (this helps clean the old filament out)
Note* Sometimes it is helpful to print a small square or something to make sure the old filament is completely gone before you print your model
- Make sure SD card is in printer slot
Print the Model:
- click knob
- roll to "Print File"
- click knob
- roll to find your directory
- click knob
- roll down to find the file you are printing
- click file
Printer profile has the heat settings for the bed and print head. Once both are up to the right heat printing will begin
Removing the Model from the Print Bed:
Printers have a "cool down" cycle. Usually the model will separate on its own. If not you can use a razor. There is usually one by the printers.
- Filament Size: up for 1.75mm filament
- Filament Types: ABS and PLA
- Maximum Printable X/Y Area 11" Diameter (280mm)
- Maximum Printable Z Height 14 3/4" (375mm)
- Maximum Printable Square Size 7 3/4" (197mm)
- Max X/Y Resolution .1mm (100 microns)
- Max Z Resolution .0125mm
- Max Hotend Temperature 245c
- Max Heated Bed Temperature 120c
Full Documentation Links:
- Assembly Manual: http://download.seemecnc.com/rostockmax/Rostock-MAX-v2-Assembly-Guide-4thEdition.pdf
- Both have had their power supplies replaced and are running Repitier firmware. Their profiles are similar, but not interchangeable.
- You don't need to put glue on the heated bed unless your print will not stick
- Rostockv2 is ABS filament only
- Rostockv1 is for PLA filament only
- Limit your print jobs to prototype prints. If you need many prints of an object consider using a 3d print service. Area515 printers should be used to perfect your file then send it off print service where you will get better prices and print times along with a larger set of filament materials to print in.